Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Default Veneer Layer in Segmented Bowl Turning Grey After Gluing

Greg, Hey that's some cool stuff! Glanced at a couple of the images and the
bowl you linked is outstanding. The solid section has so much movement it's
as if it's segmented, too. What an example of a plain jane bowl SHAPE being
treated in such a way as to be a piece of art in large part because of the
simple intrinsic beauty of wood. That's not a slight of Neeley because how
he brought it all together is marvelous. Thanks for the link.

http://www.turnedwood.com/images/Bowl0688a.jpg
Notice what he did on this one. Created the solid effect in the center that
I was talking about but used segments.

I gotta learn how to do this stuff but using local woods like the cherry and
black walnut I've got piled around here. Maybe the beech could be used as
the contrast.

TomNie

Similar to this fine bowl by Kevin Neeley, I assume:

http://www.turnedwood.com/images/Bowl0745b.jpg