Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mike

Default Branch Question

1) Cut either side of the Pith - but leave most of the hartwood. A 6"dia
branch should yield you a couple 3-3/4" high blanks.

2) Cut just to one side of the Pith. Turn that asap. And trim the upper edge
to take off as much of the pith as looks to crack, maybe only 1/4" if you're
lucky. Then turn the other half, again asap. You should get a 3" and a
2-1/2" high from a 6" branch (less what you do to the bottom.)

Woodborg wrote:
Upto now i have been turning bowls from large diameter logs, cut either
side of middle to remove heart wood, rough shaped then dipped in the
LDD. My question is for the smaller branches of less than 8" in
diameter. How do you use these, because if you remove the heartwood
their wood be nothing left. I would guess these would be spindle
turned, but do you have to have them completly dried to stop the
different drying rate from middle to out side?
I'm asking this as my dad has a willow tree thats a bit tall and needs
reducing by 50 percent and i would like to make something out of the
small logs because it brings back memories as a small child climbing up
this tree
Mark