Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

Default Part P conudrum.....

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:22:53 +0000 (UTC) Dave wrote :
If we live in what we used know as a democracy, how come TFB who
presides at the odpm (I can't possibly capitalise that, as I do not
think it should exist in the first place) can issue a decree that has
not been discussed in parliament and voted on, on a free basis, ie
the whips are strapped down and blindfolded?

Because the underlying Act - and there are probably thousands like it -
says that the Minister is empowered to do so.

"The Building Act 1984 is the enabling Act under which the Building
Regulations are made and empowers the Secretary of State to make
regulations for the purpose of
* Securing the health, safety, welfare and convenience of persons in or
about buildings and of others who may be affected by buildings or
matters connected with buildings;
* Furthering the conservation of fuel and power;
* Preventing waste, undue consumption, misuse or contamination of
water"

http://www.charnwood.gov.uk/environm...onsandotherleg
is.html

IIRC such regulations have to be laid before Parliament before coming
into effect, thus giving MP's a theoretical right to object but if one
does the reply is probably that all interested parties have been
consulted and the responses to the consultation have been taken into
account.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]