Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default building a trailer

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:58:02 -0000, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I used the Indespension 6'6" x 4' chassis as a starter (easier
than sourcing / designing the base at the time) and built it up
from there (it started as a 1m high box trailer for my Disco
gear, sold to a mate, bought back some years later and rebuilt
down to your 18" high idea) ;-)

I used exterior quality ply and most of it is still original (I
think I put a new floor in after 15 years) ;-)

I started costing it all, and decided that £200 wasn't actually a bad price
considering you get brand new chassis, tyres, bearings, etc, all galvanised
and ready to go. Sometimes DIY doesn't add up to VFM.

How true.

I recently bought a European (forget who) made 5'x4' trailer for a
'reasonable' price.

I then gave it a 'once over' and although it was probably very useable
it's wasn't how I liked it so gave it a refurb.

I probably spent (in total) something pretty close to the price of a
new trailer (and this one 'finished' still wasn't new of course) but I
enjoyed getting to know the thing and making my mark on it.

I am now 100% confident in it's abilities and would take it anywhere
... a feeling I'm not sure I would enjoy with a new one?

All the best ..

T i m