Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.home.repair
jg

Default Want to replace old flat tv cable with better coax.

I couldn't tell you what kind of antenna I have if my life depended on
it. It is big and it is very high. At least 40 feet high. If memory
serves correctly, I only have one antenna for both VHF and UHF. (Too
dark to see right now.)

As for the direction, both the Sacramento and the San Francisco
stations are in the same general direction. I am about 40 miles East
of Sacramento and given that the Sac antennas are in the Delta by
Stockton, I pick up San Fran stations as well. Ironically the station
that I really want to pick up does not come in at all, it is Channel
19. (I want my kids to watch Spanish cartoons and I refuse to pay for
cable.) I think Channel 19 is East of Modesto some place. (I had a
link to a site that pinpointed all towers on a map but I have since
lost it. Maybe someone here knows of the site.)

So as of earlier reading I was leaning towards coax, then twinlead (to
minimize loss) and now I'm confused all over again.

This is basically a summary of what I have gleaned from you gusy...

Coax:
Pros:
--Easy to install.
--Less suseptible to interferance.
--I have a huge roll ready for deployment.
Cons:
--More lossy

Twinlead:
Pros:
--Less lossy
Cons:
--More difficult to install.
--Must twist.
--Must purchase about 100 ft.
--Must purchase hardware to keep away from mast and wall.

Come the weekend, I'm doing one or the other... so I better decide by
then.

Thanx again to all who replied.

jg