Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.home.repair
mm

Default Want to replace old flat tv cable with better coax.

On 9 Feb 2006 23:52:42 -0800, "jg" wrote:

How did I connect the twinlead to the coax? I used two cones and

Cones?

Wirenuts?

Are you in the USA?

twisted them. Center to one lead, outside to the other lead. This was
meant to be a temporary solution (two years ago.)

LOL

My mother paid a tv guy to connect our tvs to the rooftop antenna,
back in 1957. When I was in the attic several years later, a little
before she was going to move, I saw that he had just twisted the wires
together, even though there was a flatlead antennal splitter hanging
right there, not being used.

At any rate I have one more question, if I go twinlead all the way from
the antenna to the TV (almost to the TV, I'll have to switch over just
before cable runs up the wall behind my tv) should I be concerned with
grounding? '

The purpose of grounding iirc is for lightening protection.
Lightening protection is NOT accomplished by providing a path for the
lightening to reach the earth. A conductor would have to be enormous
to accomplish that (as big as your thigh?).. It's accomplished by
providing a path for excessive charge in the antenna or any piece of
high metal to dissipate to the earth, so that the lighening will not
be attracted by that charge.

As I explained before, coax is well grounded just before
entering crawlspace. Will I need to do the same for twinlead?

This question is beyond me.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.