Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.home.repair

Default Want to replace old flat tv cable with better coax.

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 17:35:10 -0500, Joey
wrote:

JG,

I agree with everyone here that coax is better but so far noone has
mentioned there are two types of coax, 50 ohm and 75 ohm. Make sure
that you use the 75 ohm coax. 50 ohm is generally used for
communications and you can't tell the difference between the two by the
size or thickness of the coax. You can tell by the number stamped on
the coax, eg. RG75U, etc.

Yes, this is correct. Most hardware stores only carry the 75 ohm
RG75U these days. The 50 ohm was popular in the 70's and 80's during
the CB radio craze, but is seldom used these days except by amateur
radio people and the few that still use CB. In fact Radio Shack no
longer carries the 50 ohm cable in bulk. I wanted a piece for my
scanner and they only had pre-made cables, and not the lengths even
close to what I needed. I finally chopped a piece off an old CB
antenna and soldered on my own ends.

Geeezzzz, I'm having a brain fart.... Is that RG50U.... ????
Don't sound right.... The older I get the more my memory fades !!!