Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

Default When to pull an electrical permit?

Robert Allison wrote:
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT wrote:

Charles Spitzer wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

I do believe that if electrical work is done without a permit/being
inspected, and this electrical work causes a fire or whatever, your
insurance company might not pay for damages.

old wive's tale. what they might do is if the new wiring was done by
a company and it causes a problem, they would go after that company's
liability insurance.

I gave a deposition in such a case were the homeowner was the one that
did the work. I was the layout man on the second due engine for his
basement fire and it was rockin. We made a good stop but his
insurance carrier walked away from the loss because it was directly
caused by his incompetent electrical work.

Sure. I have done extensive insurance work with several major companies
(State Farm, Allstate, Providence, etc.) where the homeowner actually
caused the damage and the insurance paid (or I would not have been
there.) There is no insurance clause against stupidity.

I have heard these tales often and I know that they are bull. I have
asked several of the adjusters about this and they all say the same
thing; If we cannot prove that it was done to intentionally cause
damage, then we have to pay. One is stupidity and one is insurance fraud.

How pleasant to be called a liar. So you have access to every refused
claim from every insurance carrier in the US both stock and mutual and
you know for a fact that no claim is ever declined for reason of the
insureds unlawful act being the cause of the loss. It must be wonderful
to have so much information at your command.
--
Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.