Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray L. Volts

Default Soldering Surface mount capacitor with Radio Shack Soldering iron?

"Dave D" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to solder couple of surface mount capcitors,but the tip is not
sharp enough.

Is there any way to do it without buying expensive tools ?

Yes, but you'll need a half decent iron with a reasonably fine tip.

Can i tie a
needle to the gun?

Gun? No, a soldering gun is not remotely suitable for soldering most
circuit boards, least of all surface mount components.

Unless he's talking about this kind of gun:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

It's not best for SMD's, but it's ok for general pcb work.

Rat Shack also has some 15,20,25 watt irons that should work ok with Chip
Quik.
A quick search for "iron" at radioshack.com yields 6 pages of related
goodies.
The OP can file down an inexpensive tip to as small a point as desired,
which should last long enough for a few SMD caps.

I use an older Weller WTCPS station for most of my work. I've heard their
later models aren't terribly reliable, but these older ones sure seem to be.
Maybe the OP could score a used one cheap off ebay.