Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Asimov

Default Panasonic VCR; a grey screen unless you pause, FF or REW???

"reverse_side" bravely wrote to "All" (09 Feb 06 18:01:52)
--- on the heady topic of "Panasonic VCR; a grey screen unless you pause, FF or REW???"

re Subject: Panasonic VCR; a grey screen unless you pause, FF or REW???
re Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:357884

re Lots of talented people on this forum, if anyone knows how to explain
re this problem I'd be very grateful.

re It's the NV-FJ710B (Tape Library System and very speedy fast forward
re and rewind capabilities flavour of a Panasonic workhorse) - just past
re it's 5th birthday and without a peep of a problem, suddenly won't play
re tapes properly anymore.

re Symptoms: cueing forward or backwards is fine, pausing and slow frame
re advance is crystal too, but playing just gives a pure grey screen
re with audio in the background? The tapes won't play in another VCR,
re vice versa and the usual tracking & v-lock just made me frown
re :crybaby: Pre-recorded tapes are a no-no now too.

re Is this repairable or have I got to start looking at DVD RW / hard
re drive / combi alternatives?

It may be simply one clogged or really dirty playback head.
OTOH that head may be chipped.

The typical symptom here is that the special effects heads work fine
but playback is noisy or blanked.

Read the faq to learn how to clean the heads safely.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... If all else fails, hurl it across the room a few times!