Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default An OT oscilloscope question

Eric -

I might have a manual on that for you.

What are you probing - one point referenced to ground ? if so ok.

However - be cautious - The scope ground - is the frame.

Most use a 2 to 3 prong adapter to isolate the ground lug from the power line.
Then use caution.

The x10 probe has a metal spring wire that changes scaling.

Is the generator ground earth ground or floating - if you floated your scope
then connect the scope lead to the ground lead as you say.
Otherwise - what would happen is the earth ground in the scope is connected
through the scope ground to the generator ground - and that might not be right.

send me an e-mail - I'll look in the shop to see what I have. Long time ago.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Eric R Snow wrote:
I been havin' fun with my TEK 465B 'scope. But now I want to do
something serious. Check the output of a couple generators. I have a
1X/10X probe. Do I just set the 'scope to the right volts/div, the
probe at 10x, and touch the probe to the hot wire? Should the ground
clip from the probe be connected to the generator ground? I ordered
the manual but it hasn't arrived yet.
Thanks,
ERS