Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Lawnmower that will not start

"Richard" wrote in message ups.com...
Well, folks, the saga continues.The first thing I did tonight when I
got home was to squirt a little bit of gasoline in the carburetor(where
the air filter connects). After many cranks, nothing. So, I removed
the spark plug, and dribbled a little bit of gasoline in the spark plug
hole. Put the spark plug back in, and VOILA! It fired up, for around
5-110 seconds. Ran like a top, so I knew there was no problem with the
spark, timing, or compression. So, once more I took the carburetor
off. I removed the adjustment screws, being careful to count the
turns, so that I could get them back in the same place. I then blew
carburetor cleaner through the holes, then replaced both screws
(counting the turns so that I could get them back in the right place).
I then turned the carburetor over, and removed the little plate that
was on the bottom of the carburetor (held on with 4 allen screws).
Inside I found what looked like a tiny black mesh screen, which I
gently partially removed, then blew carburetor cleaner in there and
made sure that the whole area was clean. I then put the screen back
on, put the bottom piece on (with the 4 little allen screws).
Reattached the linkage and bolted it back onto the edger.
I cranked it up, and again, nothing. I once more removed the spark
plug, and poured a little gas into the spark plug hole, and once more
it fired up, for a few seconds.
I'm kind of at my wits end. Does anyone have any suggestion of
something else to try? Clearly there is an issue with the carburetor,
but I have had it all apart, and it looks clean to me. Thanks in
advance for your help, Richard

Check the specs to make sure the carb adjustments are in the correct range.
Is there a choke? Does it close completely? If you have a way to squirt gas
into the carb, do so, start it, and give it an additional squirt each time it
starts to die. After several seconds, it might operate on its own. It might be
possible to unplug jets with a fine wire and some careful probeing.

Bob