Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drywall tape

wrote:
That's called a kludge, by some.

You can make a proper taped joint, or expect it to open up at some
time.

They're never "done cracking" with annual house "biorythm" of internal
relative humidity. If you go to Washington's mansion at Mt. Vernon,
you'll see ~.75" gaps between floor boards in winter, which go to zero
in summer. Same applies to framing, of course.

I've seen a few attempts to caulk such shoddy joints- wanna guess what
happened to them in every case?

I'm sorry you've seen it done wrong, but done correctly, I've seen it
fill a crack both indoors and outdoors without problems for years. Of
course outdoors, it wasn't drywall. In both cases, priming before
caulking is imperative to allow proper adhesion.