Ed Huntress

Default Brass drill bit (for lead)

"Alaric B Snell" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

Don't put anything that's glowing red hot into that barrel. Knock out

what
you can with a brass rod, then get an ounce of mercury (you probably can
find an industrial supplier in Thomas Register that will sell you a

small
quantity; I bought 4 oz. that way a few years ago). Cap one end of the
barrel with a wooden plug; pour in the mercury to fill the barrel; wipe

out
the sludgy amalgam in a week or so.

If you don't whack it too hard, tapping on the end of a brass rod will

do no
damage. You may get lucky and all of the lead will come out just by

tapping.
The mercury is for stubborn cases. I used it to clean out 40 years of

lead
accumulation from the muzzle brake on my Hi-Standard Supermatic.

That's *very* handy - thanks!

I'll tell you all how I get on... it looks like there's multiple pellets
in there, though, from the size of the obstructed region (I stuck one of
my many brass rods in from each end and compared).

FYI, it bears the inscription:

THE GAT
J.101 (letter F in a pentagon)
4.5MM

Made in England
T.J.Harrington & Son
Walton
Surrey

Ed Huntress

ABS

I'll bet you can drift it out with a brass rod, unless there's something
else jammed in the middle. You might try soaking it in one of the strong
bore cleaners that claim to loosen lead deposits (I think they contain
ammonia) before drifting out the lead. But bewa I soaked the barrel of
one of my pistols it in some of that stuff made by Hoppe's (not Number 9)
for a few days, and the bluing wound up being half stripped off. It was a
classy old pistol, too. d8-(

Ed Huntress