Posted to sci.electronics.repair
reverse_side

Default Panasonic VCR; a grey screen unless you pause, FF or REW???

Lots of talented people on this forum, if anyone knows how to explain
this problem I'd be very grateful.

It's the NV-FJ710B (Tape Library System and very speedy fast forward
and rewind capabilities flavour of a Panasonic workhorse) - just past
it's 5th birthday and without a peep of a problem, suddenly won't play
tapes properly anymore.

Symptoms: cueing forward or backwards is fine, pausing and slow frame
advance is crystal too, but playing just gives a pure grey screen
with audio in the background? The tapes won't play in another VCR,
vice versa and the usual tracking & v-lock just made me frown
:crybaby: Pre-recorded tapes are a no-no now too.

Is this repairable or have I got to start looking at DVD RW / hard
drive / combi alternatives?