Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spudnuty

Default Cheap ESR Meter

Arfa Daily wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Looking at two budget meters, the Dick Smith, available from AU for $44
US + shipping and the MATelectronics MUL-3333 for $50 + shipping.
Anyone have experience with either? Is the kit doable for a rank
beginner? I do have a Weller station, will travel...

The Dick Smith meter is the one designed by Bob Parker, who pops up on here
from time to time. I have had one in daily use now for several years, and I
can recommend it without reservation. It has a very clear unambiguous
readout, and is autoranging. It also has an automatic offset feature to zero
out the probe and lead resistances. It has withstood everything that a busy
workshop has thrown at it, without once failing on me. It paid for itself in
the first couple of repairs that it was used for.

The kit does not contain any particularly small parts, and is well
documented. If you can solder reasonably well, and your iron has a
reasonably small tip, and you can carefully follow a set of instructions, I
think that you would be able to manage it just about. I think that it is
also available ready built for a very reasonable extra amount, if you really
weren't confidant to build it.

Arfa

I'll second that, my experience with this meter is exactly that of
Arfa's. It's paid for itself 50 times over. I would emphasize "solder
well" tho'
Richard