Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman

Default Drilling Peg holes

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:44:43 -0500, dnoyeB
wrote:

In my stereo cabinet I have adjustable shelves. The walls are AC Fir
plywood. I was drilling in the holes with my cordless B&D drill. The
plywood kept ripping around the hole.

I tried starting with a small bit, then working my way up. But once I
got to the 1/4" bit, it almost always ripped the surface wood

I imagine a drill press would have done a much better job?

If so, ill probably pick up an ultra cheap one on ebay. What features
should I ensure I have so I don't get ripping in plywood?

I wonder if I could have drilled a hole through a 2x4 and clamped it
over the plywood to stop the rip? Would I have to do that on the drill
press?

Try a Forstner bit. These slice the perimeter as they cut, unlike a
twist drill.