Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alan

Default building a trailer

"news.btinternet.com" wrote in message
I would like to build a light car trailer. It seems that this would be
cheaper than buying one.

Can anyone point to appropriate websites for plans and parts etc.?

Or is this simply a daft idea?

Thanks

Do you mean a car transporter trailer?

Been there done that. By law any trailer over 750kg gross weight *MUST* be
braked. For transporting cars you'll need a twin-axle trailer, with running
gear big enough to carry the weight of the trailer itself and the heavyest
car you're likely to carry. Factor in a winch and ramps to your design. I
find it preferable to keep the centre of gravity low by having the road
wheels either side of the bed the carried car sits on. I had a nasty
experience once of a hired "beavertail" one with wheels under the bed and
the car high up rolling over on a motorway - not pleasant. Towcar, carried
car and trailer all written off :-(.
Buying parts off the shelf is easy enough, but braked suspension units are
not cheap, nor is the coupling.
I've found www.trailerpartswarehouse.co.uk to be very good.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my home-built (large) box trailer
to fully braked using 4x braked indespension units from the above company.

If you mean a small box-trailer for general use, as long as you're under
750kg loaded you can get away without braking, which makes things far
cheaper.

Alan.