Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

Default Reducing drill press speed further

Drew_Y wrote:
I have a Delta Shopmaster Drill press. I would like to reduce the speed
from 610 min to about 300 min rpm. Since this is basically an entry
level model my options are limited. I am not concerned about the
longevity of the motor.

Can a variostat be safely used to reduce speed?

This modification would prolong the need to upgrade models. The reason
I need a slower speed is to run a circle cutting tool from general to
cut neoprene gasket material. 500 rpm is max speed for this tool.

What I would do is find a very similar delta model that has a variable
speed motor control. Then get a schematic to see how its wired in, then
mimic that on your setup. In all likely hood its the same motor. If
its not the same motor you will likely see it in the schematic.

--
Thank you,