Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Towing bracket plans needed ?

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 11:34:12 GMT, (Sponix) wrote:

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:52:54 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Which as other people have pointed out is a *bad* idea.

Bit weird that it's effectively illegal to make your own towbar but a
completely different matter when it comes to the trailer itself!

And kit cars using the floorpan / running gear (afaIk) don't need to
go through the more rigorous MOT test thing that 'complete' kit cars
do?

However, even a trailer has to be 'roadworthy' so if it was showing
any signs of 'unroadworthyness' I'm sure it would be carted off for a
closer inspection by the boys in blue?

I'll agree re the buying rather than making of a bar these days ..(*I*
have fitted them to all my vehicles having 6 towable things), even if
I had the materials / facilities to hand? As mentioned it's not just
the size, section and gauge of the steels used but the array of bolts
/ spacers / washers etc that are often in a bag as heavy as the bar
itself that add to the complication! ;-)

I would like to fit a towbar to her 93 1.4i Astra (Belmont) just
'because' .. (it will tow all our stuff ok) but haven't got round to
it yet .. (if anyone out there is getting rid of a suitable bar though
... ) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m