Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Will Trespa take a tapped thread?

On 9 Feb 2006 01:59:46 -0800, "Aidan" wrote:

Andy Dingley wrote:

Whitworth, UNC, or the coarse series metric threads are fine. Polyester
resin glued-in rock anchors work too.

Thread inserts won't work, as the coarse "wood thread" side of them just
isn't strong enough to tap the Trespa.

Why not drill through & secure it with nuts & washers on the rear of
the Trespa? Offer up to the fibre board & counter bore the marked
impressions to accomodate the nuts. No taps involved.

Nice idea BUT, the object of this exercise it to provide vertical
'adjustment' for the flat screen and once the trespa is fitted to the
wall I don't intend taking it down again ;-)

I could actually just fit the bracket in position with some turned
nylon spacers to hold the bracket just off the surface of the
fibrerboad 'lining', but if she decides she wants the scanner under
the screen or sumat and therefore the screen needs to 'move up an
inch' I'm stuffed?

With this pre-drilled / tapped idea and the Trespa (only using that
because a) I can get some free, b) I don't need to paint it, c) it's
nice and flat / strong and d) it will (hopefully) take a tapped thread
to allow my incremental hight adjustment idea?

To do the adjustment you lift off the TFT, unclip the bracket cover,
unscrew the two 8 x 1.25 machine screws, select an alternative
position, replace the screws, repace the cover, replace the TFT ;-)

And if this 19" screen dies and we are offered a 21" replacement we
can accommodate that as well (and not only can we adjust to it easily
it won't pull *my* bracket off the wall!) ;-)

I suppose all the above is a function of what I am / how I think .. (I
think I'm a frustrated inventor of sorts g). I don't really care how
long it takes (within reason of course) or how complicated it may seem
to others as long as it's 'right' for me (and there are only a few
rights and hundreds of wrongs). It's also nice to have folk (who
understand these things) see your effors and say 'that's a good idea'
, 'how did you do that?' or 'you've made a nice job of that' blush
;-)

If I do something I would like to think all the options have been
considered, it provides the most practical / flexible solution and I
never have to do it again? If I wanted a quick solution and wasn't
interested in the d-i-y part of it then I'd get someone else in to do
it .. the problem with that is many 'tradesmen' today have little
imagination / engineering skills and I *know* I wouldn't be satisfied
with the job (present company accepted of course!) ;-)

So, "whatever you do do, do do well" ..(unless you are trying to earn
a living out of it 'these days' I suppose ...sigh) ;-(

All the best ..

T i m