Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.home.repair

Default Want to replace old flat tv cable with better coax.

On 9 Feb 2006 00:54:33 -0800, "jg" wrote:

Thanx, I'll try it this weekend. I have some high end coax cable ready
for the job. Only one more question... should I worry about the
quality of the balun transformer? The ones I have seen at Home
Depot/Lowes/Radio Shack look pretty flimsy. I know there is probably
nothing inside that should not get wet, but I still wonder...

jg

I'm not sure what to tell you about the quality of them. I'd guess
they are all made by the same company anyhow, but who knows? Use the
boot that comes with them, and I tend to wrap electrical tape around
that to be sure it stays dry at the coax connector. If water gets
inside the balun, it's cracked and bad from the start. They are
sealed. As another posted said, replace the screws and nuts on the
antenna with brass ones if they are real rusted or corroded.

Mark