Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Assorted AC questions - running lines for future work

Al Moran wrote:
On 8 Feb 2006 09:08:32 -0800, "RicodJour"
wrote:

I'm closing in a room that has a chase located next to the chimney. I
want to run lines for a future central air system while the wall is
open. There's a crawl space below, marginal access on the second floor
and good access in the attic where the air handler will be located. I
picked up a 50' 3/4" & 3/8" line set which will work with the
anticipated 2 or 2.5 ton 2nd floor load.

My questions:
- I don't see how I'll be able to run the line without having at least
one or two cuts/couplings. I've read silver brazing is better than
sweating the joints. How critical is the difference?

- Is flux a problem with making connections in a refrigerant line?
Alternatives?

- I'll be pulling a 12/3 line for the unit and to provide an additional
circuit in the attic. What wire should I pull for the AC controls?

- I've never pulled such a large line. With electrical I use a fish
tape. Can I use that to help pull the insulated copper? Any tricks to
keep the insulation from hanging up and getting ripped?

If you have to ask all of these questions then you should not be
****ing with it. Ther are so many things you need to know in order to
keep future problems at bay that one could probably not post them all
here. Good luck with all that.

I am not ****ing with it, I'll be running a line. The specifics are
the reason I posted - to gather information beforehand. Standard
procedure, no?

I've checked on a couple of manufacturers' web sites and the 3/4"
works, but the 3/8" may be a little large. I know a smaller size would
minimize the charge, but how much difference does that actually make?

So if the sizing is okay, and besides me putting a hole in the pipe,
the only future problem I see is the question of contamination. That's
where I am, and I'm open to suggestions and comments.