Posted to alt.home.repair
Deuteros

Default Power out in part of the house

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Deuteros wrote:

I was in my bathroom yesterday with the lights and the fan on. All of a
sudden the lights and fan go off. Only the bathroom I was in and part
of another room were affected so I assumed a breaker had been
tripped. But when I opened the fusebox none of the breakers had been
tripped. I even flipped the corresponding breaker just to be sure.

Can I safely assume that the breaker is probably bad and will need to
be replaced, or is it possible something else is wrong?

My money is a tripped GFI. They often control more than on area and
your bath should have been on a GFI. Look around. It may be in the
bath, or check out other baths, basement, kitchen, garage or even
outside. A GFI is a Ground Fault Interrupt and often is built into an
outlet with a test and rest button. When one goes it acts a lot like a
circuit breaker except it may not be in the box.

We don't have those in our house.