Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default A/C Changes and Advice

wrote:
There was a story on TV news last week. The reporter said there were
going to be changes to the SEER numbers of new air conditoners being
sold and that if you had an a/c and an air handler, and one of them
broke, you would have to replace both because the new ones being sold
would not work with the old ones. Hope that's clear....

Relax. As usual the TV news often only gets half a story.

Don't make your decision due to the news. I would do nothing until I
need or wanted to.

You can get some numbers now if you like, but I suggest waiting. There
are tax incentives coming out and when all is said and done, it is likely
better economics to go with a matched newer unit when needed than trying to
get a few additional years out of what you now have. I would want the
increased efficiency and reduced operating cost rather than saving a little
on the hardware.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit