Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,sci.electronics.repair

Default Tascam 388 combined reel to reel and 8 track mixer

n cook wrote:
Before someone brings this 80 lbs weight .84x.22x.64 metre piece of kit
half way across the country for me to repair. Does anyone know whether it is
a straightforward job, and how, for the owner to remove the large and heavy
glass top for him to leave at home ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

1) The top glass is hinged, two pins (one on each side); the pins are
spring loaded and with slight effort (hold the glass straight up) the
spring retainers are moved and the glass lifts out (no tools.)

2) Motherboard/plug in card assembly for the rec/play preamps; most
failures we've encountered on them are in the power supply (loss of a
regulated supply) or loss of transport control due to an open motor
control pass transistor. Not that big a deal, usually, to get the rear
cover off for inspection (but I pray you have a manual?) Rare, but
there are a few fuses under that rear cover, you could get real lucky.

IMO too much crap in one box, mediocre performance from a transport
that's too slow with head track separation that guarantees crosstalk
(come on, 8 tracks on a quarter inch of tape?); and that's when they're
working properly. Sorry Teac, perfect machine for AM talk radio SM57
mixdowns (as long as you don't need more than 40 db S/N or want to go
below 100Hz or above 8Khz.)

-Robert
QTS
http://www.Braught.com