Bing

Default OT- Rules of Gunfighting

"Kirk Gordon" wrote in message
All true. All reasonable. All agreable to me. But my basic
premise was that you would NOT be safer if everyone had the same skills
as you have. (The same discipline might be a good thing. Or the same
kind of focus and energy. But not just the capacity to do violence.)
If everyone DID have the same skills, then you'd be no better off than
someone without skills, fighting another just like him.

I agree in point but that seems like a blanket statement to me. Not everyone
has the same skills nor even the guts to even go into training. Then again
I've seen people so ill equipped physically that they actually surprize me
that they are able to defend themselves in the first place much less walk
and chew gum. People will surprize you.

Or, if someone who wanted to threaten you could somehow grow another
arm, or a bigger fist, or otherwise up the ante and gain advantage, then
your abilities would still not protect you.

How would you presume that? Having an advantage is not growing a bigger arm
or having a bigger fist. For one thing I taught all my students to run
first, yell for cops and if neither of those work then assess the situation
as it is. Then try to run again. If that doesnt work then defend yerself.

I think the point we are missing is defending oneself or just looking for
trouble. In todays times defending yourself against a threat that may never
come is not really a bad idea. Taking it to the extreme and looking for some
trubble just to defend yerself is stupid. I dont think anybody here is that
dumb.
But, not at least training yerself in basic defense measures could be
considered just as dumb.

That's the trouble with guns. The capacity to kill is too easy to
acquire. If it took years of training just to pull a trigger
successfully, then I wouldn't be nearly as concerned. Your own choice
of defense strategies is, by nature, less likely to fall into the hands
of any fool who gets angry. And, of course, you can't grow an extra
arm. The basics of human anatomy define the limits to which any
hand-to-hand combat can be escalated. Not so with firearms. If your
opponent has a hand gun, you get a rifle. If he has a rifle, you get
something automatic. And so on. And so on. Forever.

I think yer talking about crazy people, not the norm with legal gun
owners.And criminals do not abide by the same code as normal people. They
dont go thru a background check. They dont have to get permits or register
their weapons. They dont even clean or take care of their weapons. Most
leave them out in the open for their kids to get aholt of.
I'll give you the fact that it is much easier to shoot someone at 50 yards
than to face him one on one.
And I'll also give you the fact that some people just aint satisfied with a
handgun and a long rifle or shotgun. But, thats not a good argument against
gun ownership. It may be a good argument about how hard it is to face
someone personally, face to face in a fight or confrontation. But that may
be another OT topic.

I respect what you're saying. Completely. But I don't think it's a
good analogy for the problem/question of owning and using firearms.

I also respect what you are saying but I would be lax if I did not point out
what I see are basic fallacies on gun ownership that alot of people keep
bringing up.
Guns in themselves do not kill people. Owning a gun or guns does not make
you a nut. It's legal.
Its regulated for those that abide by the law. We could go into the stats
about gun ownership but thats not what I perceive this to be about.

To me this is about Gunner dropping yet another post and me finding it
amusing. Others seem to think Gunner is a fruitcake. A Wako wannabe. And a
crossposter. I dont see him that way. I see him as a former vet, that has
some strong points to bring up about service to his country and his own
views on life. I dont agree with everything he says, and maybe I aint been
here long enough for him to **** me off yet, but I find his posts
informative for the most part, even if he is crossposting.
Lately, his knife post I found highly informative even if he did drop it
from somewhere else.
Most everybody here has some great info to impart to the world. I think that
to be a fine thing. If others can help somebody else than thats the way it
should be.

Is this all about Gunner or all about guns?
Guns are legal, Gunner may not be

Bing