Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
SQLit

Default Assorted AC questions - running lines for future work

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm closing in a room that has a chase located next to the chimney. I
want to run lines for a future central air system while the wall is
open. There's a crawl space below, marginal access on the second floor
and good access in the attic where the air handler will be located. I
picked up a 50' 3/4" & 3/8" line set which will work with the
anticipated 2 or 2.5 ton 2nd floor load.

My questions:
- I don't see how I'll be able to run the line without having at least
one or two cuts/couplings. I've read silver brazing is better than
sweating the joints. How critical is the difference?

- Is flux a problem with making connections in a refrigerant line?
Alternatives?

- I'll be pulling a 12/3 line for the unit and to provide an additional
circuit in the attic. What wire should I pull for the AC controls?

- I've never pulled such a large line. With electrical I use a fish
tape. Can I use that to help pull the insulated copper? Any tricks to
keep the insulation from hanging up and getting ripped?

Thanks.

The diameter of the pipe is dependant on DISTANCE and tonnage. You estimate
the tonnage, but what about the distance? Call someone in your area and get
a quote for the a/c. And what size of lines they would run.
I insulate after installing and all silver soldering is finished and a
vacuum verifies all is well.
I use mule tape and AT LEAST one other person to pull in the line set.
Harder situations some time it is 2-3 other guys for a short period of time.
I work to NOT have couplings in the lines.

Why run 12 -3? You do not need a neutral for a condenser and most air
handlers. Are you sure 12 is big enough?
Controls are dependant on what your doing. High end stuff I do I use 9-12
wire, never less than 7 wire for the controls. Way to easy to have more than
enough than less. But then again I buy control wire on 1000 foot spools.

Soldering WILL get ya in trouble maybe not right away but it will fail.
Silver solder is the only way to do it correctly. Also the ends need to be
welded shut.