Kirk Gordon

Default OT- Rules of Gunfighting

All true. All reasonable. All agreable to me. But my basic
premise was that you would NOT be safer if everyone had the same skills
as you have. (The same discipline might be a good thing. Or the same
kind of focus and energy. But not just the capacity to do violence.)
If everyone DID have the same skills, then you'd be no better off than
someone without skills, fighting another just like him.

Or, if someone who wanted to threaten you could somehow grow another
arm, or a bigger fist, or otherwise up the ante and gain advantage, then
your abilities would still not protect you.

That's the trouble with guns. The capacity to kill is too easy to
acquire. If it took years of training just to pull a trigger
successfully, then I wouldn't be nearly as concerned. Your own choice
of defense strategies is, by nature, less likely to fall into the hands
of any fool who gets angry. And, of course, you can't grow an extra
arm. The basics of human anatomy define the limits to which any
hand-to-hand combat can be escalated. Not so with firearms. If your
opponent has a hand gun, you get a rifle. If he has a rifle, you get
something automatic. And so on. And so on. Forever.

I respect what you're saying. Completely. But I don't think it's a
good analogy for the problem/question of owning and using firearms.

KG
--
I'm sick of spam.

Bing wrote:

I agree with yer premise but not the whole argument.

I taught Uechiryu karate for 4 years. In ALL of those years and years since
we trained for the unexpected. In most cases the same scenario, multiple
times. Things that most people would not even consider but do indeed happen
to somebody everyday.
Your post reminded me of that training. Just by talking about it is
training.
It's not confrontationtional to think about confrontations. It may be a bit
neurotic but that doesnt necessarily make it a bad thing.

Our military and police train and think of the unexpected everday. That
doesnt make them neurotic. it makes them better at their jobs.

People make the mistake of thinking that guns inherantly are bad things in
themselves. They never mention the people that pull the trigger as being the
bad, neurotic things that they are.

If I dropped a post about how to defend yerself with yer own body would that
be considered as bad as Gunner's post? What if mine was as humorous as his?

Granted, at 50 yards the human body is not so efficient as a gun but at
close range it can be more lethal.

You never have to worry about reloading, and in most cases you dont need a
permit.
In all my life I have seen more people beat to **** than shot by a gun.

Bing

The 2 in my address doesn't belong there.