Posted to alt.home.repair
MiamiCuse

Default AC themostat repair?

It sort of look like this one, not exactly:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

But it is an analog thing. At the bottom is the temperature gauge with
a setting for a temperature. You move it left or right to set the
temperature.

On the top is the current temperature, and it is a hand showing the
temperature. To the right is a analog switch to go from OFF to FAN to
AUTO. And below that another switch from COOL to OFF to HEAT.

If I set the temperature dial to 70, AUTO and COOL, when the
temperature rises to above 70, the fan turns on and the AC starts
cooling until it dips to below 70 and stops.

If I set the temperature dial to 70, AUTO and HEAT, when the
temperature dips below 70, nothing happens. If it dips to 65 nothing
happens. If I adjust the gauge and reset the temperature to 80, and
wait 15 minutes, it comes on, and it heats and heats and may not turn
off for a long time. If while it's on, I reduce the gauge to 70, it
will stop after say 5, 10 minutes.

Is it normal to take that long to start or stop the heater?

Why is the setting need to be set so high to simply kick it on?

I just need to know if this is something I can calibrate or I need a
pro.

Thanks,

MC

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Some thermostats (actually most of the ones I've seen) have a selector for
off, cool, heat, or fan only.

Have a look for a small switch wtih those options. Very few thermostats do
heat and cool with the same switch setting.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"miamicuse" wrote in message
I have central air conditioning and being in Florida I rarely need to turn
the heat on. The cooling seems to work fine. I set the thermostat to 70
and if it heats up above 70 it kicks in.

But the heater is not working fine. I set the same thermostat to 70, so the
heater should kick in after it drops below 70 but it does not. I see the
thermostat temperature go to 65 and it still does not kick on. If I adjust
the setting to like 80, then after a few minutes it may come on, or might
not. but then it will make it so hot and not turn off until it's way above
80.

Is this a problem with the AC unit or the thermostat? If it's the
thermostat is this a defect that needs repair/replacement or a calibration
issue? Something I can do myself or require a AC repair man?

Thanks,

MC