Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie

Default Veneer Layer in Segmented Bowl Turning Grey After Gluing

In my estimation, the vessel should be more durable as the entire unit
breaths and expands/contracts in unison, whereas with a solid base,
the upper rings expand in all directions while the base in only one.
It seems that using a solid base almost requires the use of a veneer
layer between the two to prohibit/retard cracking between the base and
the segmented rings. Of course, if the grain orientation of the other
rings aren't properly aligned, all bets are off anyway.

I didn't make myself clear. The solid part I was referring to was the lower
portion of the bowl between the two segmented layers at the top and the
segmented bottom.

I think the segmented bottom adds to the attractiveness of the piece. Just a
plain center/bottom bowl part seemed like it would add drama. I'm not an
arteeest so maybe my thought is goofy.

Now your feelings of disparate movement may still be your answer. I guess
you'd have to assemble your segments, then add to a solid blank, then turn
and hollow about like normal. Then add to your segmented bottom.

TomNie