Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Chuck

Default Veneer Layer in Segmented Bowl Turning Grey After Gluing

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:45:58 -0500, Greg wrote:

After gluing the veneers into place, apparently some kind of chemical
reaction occurred, turning spots in the maple veneer layer a grey
color instead of the normal whitish color. The glue was Titebond II.

Kind of ruins the effect I was after...
Any suggestions?

Greg,

I know you don't know me from a hole in the wall, but FWIW to you, I
think I would go along with the spalting crowd. There's a reason for
that, though. The "bullseye" effect in some of the larger "colonies"
look just like mold growing in a petri dish and the fact that the
smaller discolorations seem to very closely follow the curve of the
grain.

It could very well be, especially since this is a veneer, that the
blade used to cut it originally, transferred spores to the surface of
the piece you have here. Perhaps the chlorine in the water you used
to experiment was enough to inhibit the growth of the spores, and the
moisture in the glue, coupled with the sealing with plastic wrap,
provided the optimum climate for awakening the dormant spores.

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget