Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Veneer Layer in Segmented Bowl Turning Grey After Gluing

Tom Nie said:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedBowl05l.jpg
Greg G.

Greg, I think the bowl is sharp and well done.
Without meaning ANY criticism but thinking on it I wonder what the effect
would be if the center (just under the walnut) were just one piece. Seems
the contrast would improve with the rest appearing more dramatic. Sorta like
removing some of the busy-ness.

I've not tried segmenting so I've no idea how workable this would be. Just a
thought after seeing a lot of segmented pieces. Would like to hear your
thoughts.

TomNie

Thanks, Tom,

From everything I've been able to glean, some guys apparently use
solid bases, some segmented. Those that use segmented bases
apparently hollow out the center to a thickness of 1/8" or so, and
install a plywood plug underneath - or completely drill out the center
and use a solid plug. I like the look of the segmented bases, so I
have been opting for the former method. I have solved the problem of
matching the center points and such, so I personally don't feel a
solid base is an advantage. One person claimed that the perfectly
aligned center points visible from the inside "made the looks of it" -
for whatever that subjective comment is worth.

In my estimation, the vessel should be more durable as the entire unit
breaths and expands/contracts in unison, whereas with a solid base,
the upper rings expand in all directions while the base in only one.
It seems that using a solid base almost requires the use of a veneer
layer between the two to prohibit/retard cracking between the base and
the segmented rings. Of course, if the grain orientation of the other
rings aren't properly aligned, all bets are off anyway.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it... ;-)

Of course, all of this is irrelevant to the discolored veneer problem.
I have yet to come to a conclusion on that matter. I glued-up a group
of test subjects, and wouldn't you know, not one of them exhibited the
problem. Argghh... Seems it only demonstrates the discoloration
issue when installed into a vessel that has a minimum of 10 hours of
time invested...

Just like woman - a complete and utter waste of time...

FWIW,

Greg G.