Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar

Default Drilling a hole in plywood

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...

nightjar wrote:
"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a knack for drilling a hole in plywood or am I using the wrong
type of drill. I need an 8mm dia hole and I am using progressively
larger HSS twist drills but the exit hole is ripping the final ply to
shreds.
Should I consider something like a auger or one og those flat drills,
if they are avialble in 8mm.
The exact size is not important as long as it is about 8mm dia.

There are proper wood twist drills, with a central spike and a small
cutter
on the outer edge, which cuts the circle before you start to drill it. I
always use those for holes up to 10mm.

Colin Bignell

That sounds like this http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=3856.

Looks like it too.

Somebody else mentioned it.

Getting the same advice from two different people on a newsgroup is usually
a sign that they are on the right track.

Colin Bignell