Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Shortz

Default CO detectors read "10"

wrote in message
oups.com...

Jim Shortz wrote:
"Phisherman" wrote in message
I have three Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide detectors. One in the
basement, one in the kitchen and one in an upstairs bedroom. The
kitchen and bedroom detectors have been showing "10" for the past 48
hours (the basement reads "0"). There is an attached garage, but
neither car has been running for the past 14 hours. I decided to
turn off the furnace and water heater for a couple hours and open four
windows. There was no change in the readings. I then unplugged them,
plugged them back in, and waited an hour. The readings of "10"
returned. Since there is no combustion I"m wondering where the
detectors are picking up the CO? There are no noticeable odors in the
house, even after being outdoors for 2 to 3 hours. Any ideas?

Move the basement detector to the kitchen and see if it reads 10 or go

buy a
new one, try it and return it if the old ones are not found to be

defective.

I guess we found the cheap skate that buys things, uses them, then
returns them, so the rest of us can pay higher prices.

I doubt a half hour of use a on a retuurned CO detector would strap your
finances too badly.