Steve

Default OT- Fools of Gunfighting

Most of your post discussed carrying a weapon out
in the world. Because of your hobby you probably
have a number of weapons of various types in your
house or shop.
Do you consider any of them to be of value in protecting
your home or family, and if so, what type in particular?

The only gun I don't keep in my safe is my old Remington 870 with a 20" slug
barrel, which sits in the back of my bedroom closet. I don't keep it there
with the expectation that I will need to use it, but rather because it
involves no comparative inconvenience to do so, and yes I sleep like a baby.
I choose this gun for 3 reasons: 1) I have so many hours behind it I know I
can hit something with it; 2) it has real firepower without the prospect of
killing the neighbors; and, 2) If I thought I had a burglar, I expect that
the distinctive "schlack-schlack!" of a round being chambered, accompanied
by me shouting "If I find you I'm going to kill you!" would probably be
enough to convince them to retreat.