Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH

Default Router table sled without miter slot?

Toller wrote:
A few months ago I was building a router table and asked about
putting a miter slot into it to use with a sled.
Several people said they just ran the sled against the fence and
found it worked out well. It made sense, so I went that way.

The table is fine, but now I am making the sled and am not sure it
still makes sense. On some cuts (say a tongue and groove frame)
won't the router bit hit the sled?

Yes. Which is good, stops blowout
___________

I suppose you could put a spacer
between the sled and workpiece, so the router bit is too high to hit
the sled, but that seems like it would ask for inaccuracies.

Am I missing something here?

Yes. You are trying to be too fancy. Forget a sled, just grab a piece
of scrap around 4" wide by at least that long with two square edges and
use it to push the skinny piece by riding the push block on the fence.
When you are through cutting ends, trim off the 1/2" or so that was cut
by the bit and set the rest aside for use next time.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...