Tenex

Default 18v circular saws - any good?

Simon wrote:
I had to cut a banner down to length that had 1" mild steel box
section as a frame, clad in 9 mm MDF, this was in the foyer of the
National Theatre ... all I had was my DW cordless trim saw and a
hacksaw, set the depth to 9mm to cut off the MDF and then finish off
with the hacksaw, well I thought it was 9mm :-/ ...... turns out it
was 6mm and i had my glasses on upside down ... the DW went through
the mild steel like it wasn't there, so I wound the blade down and
finished the job. It really depends on the blade as well as the saw,
the DW comes with a blade that is guaranteed against hitting a
certain amount of nails, plus it is very thin ... so there isn't much
drag. I've used it for 18mm ply before and it groaned a bit, but the
ply was wet. The motor won't last like a mains powered saw, but it
is good for getting you out of trouble if you need a quick cut, in an
awkward place and don't want to be trailing leads and dealing with a
high HPs.

Wouldn't your DW be much more powerful than the Challange/Argos 18v? Or
would the Challenge be OK (the helpline is Hilka if that's of any importance
had a look in the store the other day)?