Posted to alt.home.repair
Elliott Plack

Default Basement smells like oil

Hello,

I just purchased a new house to fix up and then perhaps live in, but
most likely rent and keep as an investment. The house is 79 y/o and has
an oil furnace, while the surrounding suburbs are all on NG. My current
home has NG and we have always been told that if you smell ANY GAS you
should call 9-11 and get the heck out. Well, is this true with oil?
There is a strong smell down there but there is a tank inspection
sticker that is fairly recent.

On a lighter note, this furnace may interest some of you. It has one
and only one vent, directly above it, seen he
http://tinyurl.com/9hzgb

Here is the unit from below: http://tinyurl.com/ar8su Can anyone tell
me what that tank is next to the furnace, and that small black thing as
well? Here's a close up: http://tinyurl.com/ax8f6

If the gas smell isn't a problem, would it be hard to switch to NG?