Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Default Veneer Layer in Segmented Bowl Turning Grey After Gluing

said:

Hi Greg

Very nice bowl, did the discoloration happen to every piece of glued
maple on this bowl ??

Hi Leo,

Happened only to the veneers, not the remainder of the solid stock
maple or walnut. Some of the veneer was glued up into stacks, as
shown by this photo:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...erSpots01l.jpg

The spots are clearly visible. This occurred within several hours.
It was clamped between clear kitchen plastic wrap and cawls, so no
contamination from an external component could have occurred.

I discarded this piece and made another. This was then cut into
smaller pieces to create the feature ring divisions. It didn't seem
to discolor until glued into the feature ring. Time between the
veneer glue-up and ring assembly was one day. Total elapsed time for
the entire bowl was one week.

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedBowl05l.jpg

Before posting my query, I tried clamping several veneers together
with both water and glue. Only the glued pieces discolored.

It's a mystery to me. I even considered the rubber roller on the glue
bottle applicator as the culprit, but apparently not.

Thanks,

Greg G.