Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Default Veneer Layer in Segmented Bowl Turning Grey After Gluing

Greg G. wrote:
Any ideas on this one?
I constructed and turned this segmented bowl:

http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...tedBowl01l.jpg

After gluing the veneers into place, apparently some kind of chemical
reaction occurred, turning spots in the maple veneer layer a grey
color instead of the normal whitish color. The glue was Titebond II.

Kind of ruins the effect I was after...
Any suggestions?

If I were to hazard a guess I'd bet that it wasn't the glue, but sanding
it that did it. Probably some really fine walnut dust has stained the
maple. Next time use purpleheart. If it's light purple instead of grey
then you've found the culprit.

Might be a good tack rag could have helped w/that, or maybe some mineral
spirits on a cloth...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller