Posted to uk.d-i-y
River Tramp

Default Part P conudrum.....

Re;
Woa, where do you get the £300 from? A building notice for a small job
like that ought to cost under £100. If you council is suggesting that you
ought to pay for the inspection then I would suggest pointing them at the
memo from the orifice of the deputy prime minister that says they ain't
allowed to charge extra for that bit.

ODPM wouldn't be anything without double standards (or double Jags)

True, they sent a memo stating LA's had to do the test if not done by a Part
P person, and the cost was included in the general B Regs fees, you couldn't
charge extra, as some LA's continue to do. (the one sent to us quoted the
letter I sent to the kitchen installation company which caused a stink over
this)

However, on every other query put to the ODPM, say on Part M issues, they
will give their advice, but then say it is up to the LA as they are the B
Reg enforcers for the area, ie they bunk out of making a decision.

It is on that basis that several Authorities have ignored the memo you refer
to.

Don't forget, you don't have to go to a LA to get B Regs approval. Try your
local AI (Approved Inspector, ie private building control) and see what they
would charge!

Why should LA's be made to accept a fee so low it costs them to run the
service?

IanC