Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Question about house re-wiring

Stephen Dawson wrote:

Granted, the wiring my not have deteriorated since the 1980's but the
terminations may have done, and in my experience PVC cale down break down,
the termination points do. So to go back the the OP, have a periodic done by
a competent sparks and ct on the information given.

Steve Dawson

I fairly much concur. Just for clarity, what I meant was a 1980s
install would have been upto a good safety standard when new, so the
fact that it is 1980s is not in itself a cause for concern. As Steve
says, some fittings may have deteriorated, particularly IME light
switches, which tend to become stiff enough in action that they can
stay in the halfway position, which isnt a good idea.

It is also possible for pvc cable to deteriorate, but this does not
normally happen. If outdoor pvc cable is cracking up, replace. If its
unpainted, paint with gloss paint to protect it from uv.

A periodic inspection can be done, but I'm not sure the return, ie
safety improvement per money spent, is of as good a value as various
other things you could do. Also you might get a list of recommendations
that amount fo bringing it upto new standard, which in most cases I'm
doubtful would gain any significant safety improvement.

Despite the popular perception of the dangers of electrickery, the
reality is the death rate is orders of magnitude lower than deaths
caused by stairs, and injuries are orders fo magnitude lower than those
caused by beds, DIY accidents, and so on.

Perhaps at some point it could even be that improving your wiring could
be more dangerous than any risk it removed

NT