Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian_m

Default Part P conudrum.....

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Ian_m wrote:

snio

Woa, where do you get the £300 from? A building notice for a small job
like that ought to cost under £100. If you council is suggesting that you
ought to pay for the inspection then I would suggest pointing them at the
memo from the orifice of the deputy prime minister that says they ain't
allowed to charge extra for that bit.

Got charges here.
http://www.eastleigh.gov.uk/ebc-2159

Also spoke to a nice bloke (who said don't shoot the messanger I am just
enforcing the regulations) who said 3 ways to proceed:

1. Get a self certifying electrician to do the job, they will "bulk" inform
the council at the end of the month of all the Part P jobs they have done.
2. Get a qualified electrician to do the job, who then issues a test
certificate to the council and pays £60.
3. DIY or non qualified electrician then get an independant check (or
council provide) to issue test certificate and pay £290.

He forgot no 4, just do it.

Actually all this fuss about you won't be able to sell your house etc in not
true. Speaking to a mate in the pub last night, just sold his mother-in-laws
house with electrical work done in kitchen (tumble drier spur of cooker
point, by a neighbour) and no part P. He declared this on the sellers info,
buyers solictor asked for Part P form, he said if the buyer wants one he can
pay for it (£360 seller was quoted). Buyer still bought the house, actually
the asbestos artex was more of an issue than Part P.