Posted to uk.d-i-y
mrcheerful

Default Towing bracket plans needed ?

"doc" wrote in message

I recently bought a small (4' x 3') unbraked secondhand trailer, and
until this week my Volvo was used to tow it. I Now have an Astra and
need to weld up a Tow bar with towing ball. The sort that is mostly
hidden bolted underneath the boot of the vehicle, with only the towing
hitch ball on view at the back. Is there anywhere i can get plans for
the dimensions of metal needed to make up a towing bracket for this
vehicle ?

There does not seem to be any set plan for these as they are obviously
dependant on the makeup of the rear of each different make of auto.

thanks

to be honest the cost of a ready made kit is very low if you search a bit.
I feel confident enough to make one (C & G welder) but I would not bother
unless impossible to get a ready made one. they usually need all sorts of
bits of tube to stop the chassis rails being crushed etc. and can be quite
complex to get round modern bumpers.

And if your home made one fails on the road the consequences could be
horrific, not to mention expensive.

mrcheerful