Posted to alt.home.repair
~^Johnny^~

Default Single phase vs. three phase air conditioning

On 3 Feb 2006 04:15:35 -0800, "Stretch" wrote:

Al, I doubt you will find many 2-ton Three phase units available. Most
three phase units are 3 ton & up. Go single phase.

Stretch

Not with Copeland compressors.

I have built 2-ton DH's withe Copeland (coplemetec)
pumps, rated at 3 HP, R-12, 2 tons, medium-to-high temp.

Of course, that was many years ago, and these were salvaged from
commercial units.

But three phase exists all the way down to fractional horsepower, if
you need it. Price is the main stickler. Go with what is cheaper
(and cheaper to repair/replace, etc).

The reason you don't see too many residential 3-PH units under 5 tons,
is 3-PH power is rare in residential services, so there is little
call for it. But 3-PH motors and compressors are readily available,
all the way down to two tons or less. Fifteen to Thirty years ago,
3-PH motors were generally cheaper than single PH. Now, I dunno. I
don't do it no more.

Grab the latest Grainger catalog, and see what compressors are
available, and for what prices.

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info