Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Vintage IDEA's???

"HotRod" wrote in message
I need the pro's here. I'm re-doing a 130+ year old house and I need some
advice on two things.

1) While ripping out the plaster on the second floor I discovered that all
of the exterior walls are solid brick, two bricks thick, without any
studs. The plaster is put right on the brick. I'd like to insulate the new
exterior walls but am scared of framing with 2" x 4"s because this will
sink the windows into the wall another 4". I think it might look weird.
What are my options? Money is an issue?

Have you seen windows with really deep sills, which means there's lots of
room for plants or for the cat to hang out, or whatever? Maybe there's a way
to work with this issue to your advantage.