Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh

Default Microwave oven safe after 10 years?

Hi!

I think there's an inverse relationship between age and reliability of
mircowaves. The older the microwave, the more likely it is to still
work.

You might be right! I've got a 1985 model Kenmore (made by Sanyo) in the
kitchen that still works like new. The only thing I've ever had to replace
is the light bulb...not because it burned out, but because the glue holding
it into the socket came undone and then the little wires linking base and
socket broke.

Down in the basement I've got a 1986 model GE oven that was collected for
free because its owner complained of "slow heating". Cleaning the dust out
of the air inlet helped...it seemed the magnetron was overheating and
cutting out. I also put a light bulb in this one. It still works like a
champ.

My grandmother has a "downright classic" Litton-made oven that seemingly
predates digital timers. It has only ever required a few lamps and periodic
lubrication of the fan motor.

Meanwhile I've got at least two Sharp ovens...both maybe 3 years old. One is
dead to the world (haven't looked at it yet, but it is probably something
simple) and the other will not acknowledge its START button. (Instant cook
modes will start and run for however long is specified, but nothing (not
even jumpering the contacts on the circuit board that represent the start
button) will make it start when START is 'pressed'. I suppose this may be
more difficult to work out and I'm not sure it is worth it.

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.

I don't subscribe to S.E.R on the majority of my IBM PS/2 systems, but I
have a great number of them still out and running today. For a while I had a
PS/2 Model 65SX running as a web server!

http://www.walshcomptech.com/comp_coll.htm

William