Andrew Gabriel

Default Multiple lights trip MCB

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
A big study was done on traffic light bulbs that proved that the flashing
amber lights blow after the same period of on time as the red and the

green
lights. The flashing had no effect on bulb life at all.

That why we all use traffic light bulbs in our houses right?

The failure modes are similar. In other countries, they use long life GLS
bulbs anyway.

The research was done in the US, where standard mains lamps have
been used in traffic signals, and where long term flashing red and
amber signals are used much more than they are here. Lamp life
turns out to depend only on the total 'on' time, and not the
frequency of switching. This is counter-intuitive because lamps
often blow at switchon, but the last switchon only hastened its
death by an hour or so which is completely insignificant, and the
switchons prior to that had no effect at all on lamp life.

In the UK, we have never used standard mains lamps in traffic
signals. Even when they were mains voltage (which they haven't
been for years), the lamps were special.

--
Andrew Gabriel