Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default What is it? C

According to J. Clarke :
Gary wrote:

Wrong, google Groups -is- a browser. I am using it right now to post
this message. But I much prefer Agent as it has spell check and kill
files capability.

Huh? Internet Explorer is a browser. Netscape is a browser. Konqueror is
a browser. Google is a _server_, not a _browser_.

More specifically, Google is a *web* server (HTTP protocol), not
even a "news" (usenet) server (NNTP protocol).

Many web browers have the capability to talk the NNTP protocol,
and POP protocol (one of the e-mail protocols), but Google does *not*
serve newsgroups in that way. It serves them up as web pages, through
what *I* find to be a terrible user interface.

Agent is also not a browser, it is a "newsreader", which is slightly
different from the portal access called "Google Groups" provided via the
Google server.

And -- it is much *better* at being a newsreader than the web
browers which include NNTP protocol capabilities. I don't use it,
simply because I don't allow a Windows box which I may own to talk to
the net. So -- I use common free source newsreaders written for unix
systems (which is where usenet news got its start, anyway, so the unix
newsreaders have had plenty of time to get to be very good at what they
do.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564